The Great Depression nearly marked the end of Ogden Dunes. The closure of the Ogden Dunes Ski Jump in 1932 was a major blow. The recovery, stimulated by the New Deal and the coming of World War II, led to the creation of an active community by 1940.
1930: Port Williams: port and steel mill proposed east of Burns Ditch
1930: The Census lists 50 full-time residents in 14 households
1930: The 2nd Subdivision was platted and recorded (Hillcrest on the east, Tamarack, Locust, Linden on the west and south).
1932: The Realty map shows approximately 60 homes and cottages
1932: The Ski Club held its last international ski competition and closed its ski jump, allowing for the residential development of Ski Hill Road.
1932: During the early thirties Samuel Reck, president and major stock holder in Ogden Dunes, Inc., retired to Florida turning over the operation to his son, Nelson Reck.
1933: “The Hour Glass Cottage” was built for O. D. and Tillie Frank. O. D. Frank, a naturalist and scientist, taught at the University of Chicago Lab School.
1936: The Gary Boat Club leased land just east of Ogden Dunes to build a marina with a club house at the mouth of the Burns (Ditch) Waterway. The Town built Boat Club Road allowing access from Hillcrest Road to the marina. This encouraged a number of Gary businessmen who had membership in the boat Club to build homes in Ogden Dunes.
1938: On August 25 the first issue of “The Ogden Dunes Sandpiper”, a periodic newsletter for the community was published. Helen Reck, wife of Nelson Reck, served as editor until the last issue appeared in the summer of 1970.
1938: On October 6 a group of women met and organized the Ogden Dunes Woman’s Club and elected Dess Cash as its first president.
1938: The Town Board renamed a number of streets, including Hillcrest Road, Cedar Trail and Ogden Road.